Codekontrol World Blog Headline Animator

About Me

My photo
London, London, United Kingdom
Codekontrol World blog is...with every post we'll try and give you a few uncensored and open hearted lines about what's going on in the Codekontrol Universe: first and foremost as a collective of real people; some of us artists, some promoters or some just clubbers all united by a common lust for good electronic music and clubbing. We're learning how to write this journal as we go along so please try to be patient and critical with us at the same time. We want to put everything on the table, and try to keep it real! No bull and no sales pitch. Just real one-to-one conversation. So help us God!(the electronic version :) At the fist slight feel of bull, please be ruthless and open fire! It's all good and very welcome. It will also make you feel better.

Friday 30 September 2011

101 with Ramon Tapia: being "El Carlitto"...

Ahead of his highly anticipated performance at tonight's Episode III of Technicolour at EGG club London, we caught up with one of the most loved and appreciated new talents of excellent house music. With new mixes and remixes appearing constantly on his Soundcloud page and already with a Strictly Rhythms Compilation under his belt, Ramon Tapia is on fire!

Get some sun screen then, sit tight, hit the play button and enjoy Codekontrol's 11 questions on "being El Carlitto"
Latest tracks by Ramon Tapia

[code]: Hi there Ramon, and welcome back to sunny London tonight as we roll film and music for Episode III of Technicolour: London’s Cinematographic House Music Experience! How are you and where does this interview find you?

Ramon Tapia: I'm doing great, hanging out on my sofa now after a long weekender; and also had a long long day at the airport :)

[code]: How has summer 2011 been for you and where have you spent it mostly?

Ramon Tapia: I've been touring in Mexico, Brazil and many festivals all over Europe so it has been quite amazing. Wish i'd also had some vacation :P

[code]: :) How has your release schedule been throughout the year since your landmark release for “Strictly Rhythm” last December?


Ramon Tapia:
Yes, the Strictly Rhythm release was huge for me with a lot of worldwide exposure;




afterwards I wanted to keep it a bit easy on releasing so i did just a couple of originals and remixes on labels like 100 % Pure, Remote Area, Soma, Snatch and so on …Dj wise its been hectic flying from one side of the globe to the other…but yeah...I'm definitely not complaining :D

[code]:
For the readers of our little journal not yet familiar with the Ramon Tapia discography, please give us five of the most seminal RT releases throughout the years. (I know this is not going to be an easy ask :)

Ramon Tapia: hahaha your right! defo' not easy :) But lets try...

1. Strictly Rhythm compilation Vol 6

2. Ramon Tapia -Combustian -100 % Pure

3. Ramon Tapia - Back To the Bush -- Monique Musique

4. Silicon Soul --Right on ( Ramon Tapia remix ) -Soma

5. Ramon Tapia ft Neka --Tanzgefuhl - Gsr

[code]: Speaking of productions, we’ve been checking your Soundcloud page quite frequently (...daily :) for the past couple of weeks and there's always great new music showing up on there! Listening to the stuff you were doing two three years ago on Herzblut or Flash Records it is also different. What is the sonic direction you find yourself getting your groove on from these days? Also tell us more about the process of Ramon Tapia the artist getting to the “today point”

Ramon Tapia: thanks for the good words guys :)
Well these days music is evolving so fast, I try to keep my sound but evolve together with the times…which is not easy… in the beginning when I started making music there was a lot of the minimal sound around which I also did. Then, on my first album on Great Stuff i tried to go wide in the spectrum, from house to minimal to techno!

And actually, today, I still stand for that…there are so many cool things to do with music that it would be simply stupid for me to get stuck in one thing. Don't get me wrong, I think if other people prefer doing so, it is their right to do so, for me, I just love making music in all of its glory!

My main influences come from everywhere and i try to work that in most of the records i do :)

[code]: We read in your biog you’ve been living in Belgium for quite a bit of time and that this is the place where Ramon Tapia the dj first made his appearance. But was actually Belgium the first place where your love for music found the right environment to blossom and to change your life for ever? Or have you always been musical, even before Belgium?

Ramon Tapia: Well...I have indeed started djing in Belgium and before that when I was still living with my parents I would be mostly playing around with my sisters' record player ( and broke it eventually :) or be and playing cassettes that my sisters were coming back with from their trips to the electronic music clubs in Belgium and Holland... .

[code]: Surely your crush on gabba and other more exotic such sounds must’ve come from that scene. Tell us more about the time and space when this happened. Do you ever feel any “heartaches” for those days? Did you ever let such sounds (unconsciously maybe) into the music you’re making now?
(errrmm..new Ramon Tapia live show?!? Don't thinks so :)

Ramon Tapia: Hmmm, well in those days it was all about that kind of music, which I followed like a sheep :)). I surely don't regret any of it, I did it as part of my exploration of new things and new sounds in every sense of the word…that it simply was my time to explore these extremes. We were all a bunch of kids going to big raves to watch the big hardcore dj's and tried to be like them …wearing expensive trainers, etc. etc. I think in that it was maybe in that time when I first got the feeling to want to be a dj. Now going to the question of if I use those sounds nowadays …I think i don't...but maybe others say i do :)

[code]: For the past couple of months, if not years even, house music and techno to some extent have slowly but surely morphed into a more organic, jazzy, (heavily) Latinised sound. Many new producers have got their lucky break by combining such grooves with the 4/4 beat.
Ramon, you are by definition a Latin spirit, do you feel that this heritage has had an important influence in shaping your sound today? How do you make the most of it as part of your sonic palette?

Ramon Tapia: It really has!!!
I do love funked up beats, not neccesairly latin, but definitely FUNKY; but yet other styles influence me too. I try to bring a bit of everything into my musical spectrum, hoping that the fans follow me in these "new territories". As far as I'm aware they do!!!

[code]: Coolio, so tell us more of what’s in store for the remaining of the year from the Ramon Tapia production house

Ramon Tapia: Well, let's see...here we go:
I've just released a fresh new record with my good friend Sandy Huner on Remote Area and will do a solo record later this year on the same label …I'm releasing a record on the label i'm doing with Hermanez, Aella Music in Oktober, I'm also starting my very own record label which will feature for the first few releases mostly own productions (name to be announced soon), I'm also expected to do a release on Skint Records and... much much more!
Link
[code]: Tonight's London colourful event which you and Alex Bau of CLR are headlining (in different rooms), TECHNICOLOUR Episode III promises a surreal house music experience of sound and cinematography.
Give us a hint on what will your chosen sound be for the event.

Ramon Tapia: From funky to techy sounds in the widest sense of the word. That is Ramon Tapia!

And finally

[code]: What is the future for gabba?

Ramon Tapia: :))
Gabba is still there ...but it fused more into hardstyle… it'ss like a mixture of hardcore beats with truancy synth leads …. But, you know... for me they simply don't make the Gabba records like they used to :P

[code]: Thanks Ramon, looking very forward to your set tonight at TECHNICOLOUR Episode III It's probably the right time for you to hit the airport. We wouldn't want you to miss your plane by any chance :D


Catch Ramon Tapia headlining the BASEMENT STAGE at tonight's
Technicolour Episode III event at EGG, London

Also, keep touch with Ramon Tapia’s very busy release and gigging schedule through:

Facebook
Beatport
Resident Advisor
Soundcloud

No comments:

Post a Comment