Codekontrol World Blog Headline Animator

About Me

My photo
London, London, United Kingdom
Codekontrol World blog is...with every post we'll try and give you a few uncensored and open hearted lines about what's going on in the Codekontrol Universe: first and foremost as a collective of real people; some of us artists, some promoters or some just clubbers all united by a common lust for good electronic music and clubbing. We're learning how to write this journal as we go along so please try to be patient and critical with us at the same time. We want to put everything on the table, and try to keep it real! No bull and no sales pitch. Just real one-to-one conversation. So help us God!(the electronic version :) At the fist slight feel of bull, please be ruthless and open fire! It's all good and very welcome. It will also make you feel better.

Tuesday 13 September 2011

A summer night's dream: 101 with Anthony Costans aka Tonybar

Nothing like a couple of hours of (cold and windy) September sun to put you straight into "melancholy mode". Wouldn't we do anything for one more month...scratch that, one more week of summer...Well, we did bring a bit of summer back here at Codekontrol HQs. In sound at least. We sat down with the one man who simply defined the summer 2011 sound for us and got the full lowdown in 11 questions. Ladies and gentlemen...Tonybar!

Tonybar @ ThekeyRadio 8/06/11 by Tonybar

Following a good couple of excellent releases on Picknik, Release Sustain and own label Unomi Records, the name Tonybar is now one that resonates of an original “funk and grind” house, if there ever was such a thing.

Tony’s productions would very well fit somewhere in between an 80’s Chicago warehouse sound and a deep techy CafĂ© 1001 groove of our days. His sound speaks to the body in a language that everyone can understand and yet keeps a certain mystery, atmosphere or as the French would call it a certain “je ne-sais quoi”.

The reason we brought the French into discussion is not to talk of their cuisine or their important role in developing disco, but because for Tonybar, France is also the place that changed everything, that turned his life around onto the right path: the music path."

[code]: Hi Tony or Tonybar as “daddy” Beatport calls you. So which one is the right one?

Tony: You can call me Tony... i turn into Tonybar behind my laptop but both are correct :)

[code]: But is Tony Bar your real name? And if not how did it come about? (typing Tony Bar in Google, it gives “Tony Blair” as a possible search suggestion :))

Tony: The first time I heard this name it was in my house in France , some friends were touched by the place when they first came to visit me, it reminded them of the BAR 25 in Berlin ...so few drinks later they called the place “the Tony Bar”
About ''Tony Blair'', no resemblances should be taken there :D



errrmm, Naaaah!





[code]: Yeah, Google is weird sometimes...We’ve read on your Myspace biog that Montpellier (France) has a special meaning for you, and also that now you are living and creating music in Berlin. How did the switch happen? And do you miss Montpellier in any measure?

Tony: Montpellier has a very important place in my story. I lived a dozen years there and musically there, in Montpellier is where it all began, with my homies. I still have a lot of my friends there today, friends that I considere like my family.

Now I am based in Berlin. The move for Berlin was an idea of my friend Mikolai, who, quite quickly, convinced me to follow him there. Things then chained together and one thing leading to the next, in our circle of friends some have rallied to the cause and some months after...we were there: Five music makers living together, studios in every room, parties, after parties!! Creativity floating in the air we breathe!

[code]: How do you find Berlin as a place to live? To create? How is the scene there?

Tony: Berlin is the perfect city to live. It is rare to feel this feeling like I do here, in Berlin; an overwhelming feeling of being at peace. People are so respectful of each other just by being open and ready to help others. I sometimes feel that this kind of sentiment has greatly disappeared in France, for example...
Creating in such an environment like Berlin is also “perfect”, because at the end of the day what you feel often resonates in your work so it’s all connected. And of course it’s really awesome to have this massive scene just outside your apartment from where you take influences and inspiration. That's pretty unique.

[code]: I know this will be a controversial observation, but I think we all agree that French dance music has repeatedly influenced dance music worldwide. Be it through Cerrone’s and Moroder’s disco or Ettienne de Crecy’s acid grooves, Cassius’ house or the Daft Punks and Ed Banger Crew of our days, the sound of dance music seems to be deeply imprinted into the French DNA. Do you feel that your French heritage has had such an important influence on shaping your sound today? Do you enjoy having this influence as part of your sonic palette?

Tony: It's hard to include everyone but some of the French artists have inspired me consciously or not. But I feel in my case it's more the old discs soul of my parents and those funk and hip hop of my sisters that I grew up musically with...

[code]: Now that we’ve reached the “inspirational sources” chapter, who are the first three names that always spring into your mind when searching for new beats?

Tony: I really love Subb-An and Adam Shelton; I find them extremely innovative in their many projects. I’m as well currently attacked by the virus named John Tejada!!!

[code]: Now with the summer fever definitely gone (at least here in London that is the case :), what five tunes had been making the Tonybar playlist in the hot season?

Tony:

Mikolai -She's Mine (Picknik)
Sierra Sam & Marcus Vector - Anyone feat Jonny Cruz original mix (Toys For Boys)
Dora - Who's Pimping Who (Remake music)
Anthony Constans- Restons En La (Serialism)
Snoop Dogg Feat. Wiz Khalifa - This Weed Iz Mine (Priority Records)

[code]: Now that we just hit that weak nostalgic chord mentioning the word “summer”, we've seen that your schedule was very busy all along, with plenty of gigging to go around for everyone living in either Berlin or Montpellier. I know I don’t only speak for myself when I say that we’d really love having you on our side of the channel for a couple of gigs! How well are you accustomed to the London scene?

Tony: Some gigs are planned for the coming months, so keep an eye out! You’ll see me more months this year... And as you guys know lots of my friends are based there: Release Sustain, Picknik, the Familly Serialism, and my Cable Street guyz as well... I’ll want to see them more!

[code]: You’ve played alongside some very original names on the house and techno scene, who’s been your favourite up until now and why?

Tony: If I’d have to pick one, I would say James Taylor. I’ve listened to Swayzak’s “Dirty Dancing” album maybe one million times!!! And it was amazing to me to be at his side during one of my first performances.

[code]: Your latest release on Picknik, “Reve du Cuir” for us is just a pure expression of the summer just gone: a laidback, funky and immersive sound. Tell us more about it please...

Tony: “Reve de Cuir” is actually its my first artist EP. It’s made up of a couple of tracks: Da Switch, Funky Chronicles with two remixes from Delhom & Charly and Canary
I wrote “Da Switch” after a short stay in London and after what I believed I knew it would react well with the crowd there. So, now you telling me this is quite funny...:) Funky Chronicles came a little later and I really liked the association of these two tracks...they have little touch of madness.

Tonybar - Funky chronicles by picknik

Tonybar - Da switch by picknik

Da switch (Canary Fontaine remix) by picknik

Da switch (Charly Delhom Da Other Switch remix) by picknik

[code]: Thank you very much sir Tony :)

Keep touch with Tony’s music and gig schedule through:
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/tony.bar
Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/tonybar
Myspace http://myspace.com/tonybarunomi

Tonybar’s latest release “Reve du Cuir” is out now on Picknik Records exclusively on Beatport: http://www.beatport.com/release/reve-de-cuir/378136

No comments:

Post a Comment